Etsy

18/04/2013

Plot 36, some thoughts on crop rotation and layout

A while back did some research into companion planting and decided that I would like to have 4 beds in my first year. I've been reading up on crop rotation this week to help me figure out where to dig them. I am also planning a 5th bed of runner beans now too and am also thinking of growing my toms in grow-bags as according to some of the other allotment folks I have been chatting with, toms have done very badly here for the last 3 years.
  • Potatoes, Marigolds (Rosemary nearby)
  • Leeks, Carrots (Mint nearby)
  • Broccoli, Kohlrabi, Marigolds (Chives nearby)
  • Runner beans
  • Tomatoes, Basil and Nastertiums
I've found details for 3, 4 and 5 year rotation plans but this one looks like it will suit me and the size of my plot pretty well, especially as I am not planning to dig a further bed for my toms (I think I can dig the grow bag compost in to my potato bed at the end of the growing season).

(HDRA recommended method)

1)potatoes and tomatoes - add organic matter, high nitrogen (manure)
2)roots - add nothing
3)brassica - add general fertiliser and lime 
4)legumes - add organic matter, low in nitrogen (compost)

In this rotation, the alliums go with one of the other groups, but chosen so they are grown in a different place and with a different group each year.
Here is a little sketch of how I think my plot can be laid out in year 1



Jolene x

No comments:

Post a Comment