Etsy

09/04/2013

My work in print...

I had very much meant to blog about all of my lovely glassy moments over this past year as they happened but somehow when it comes to my work being in print I always feel a bit bashful. Here is a little catch up post of where I have had my work in print over the last year.

The first time I have ever had work in print was in the April 2012 issue of Beads & Beyond magazine when my Frozen Bonsai focal bead was shortlisted for a top ten place in the Jewellery Maker of the Year Competition (lampwork category). I took 2nd place and and was published again in the June 2012 issue when the results were announced. I won a fabulous prize, a CiM glass Shopping spree with Off-Mandrel. It was the first time I have ever entered a competition, colour me happy.

I also submitted pictures that summer to The Flow magazine and was completely thrilled to see one of my encased tree beads in the 8th Annual Gallery of Women in Glass. When I first began lampworking in the summer of 2007 I wondered if one day I might be good enough to be part of this brilliant Flow Gallery tradition some day.

In March 2013 I had my first ever magazine tutorial published by Beads & Beyond magazine, part of a special edition focusing on words in jewellery. I wrote a tutorial showing how to write in glass using a stringer and my word bracelet got a little feature on the cover too. Many thanks to Julie Fountain for recommending me as the right person for the job.

The next two places I have beads in print are the GBUK Journal (which I just adore) and Glasss 3. Both publication have just been released at the UK's biggest lampworking event, the Flame Off, which took place last weekend at Silverstone Racecourse.

GBUK is the UK's society for glass beadmakers and the journal is a wonderful perk of membership. Each year all GBUK members are invited to submit a picture for the journal. I love the fact that the journal is not a juried publication and that inclusion is open to all members. This is the third year I have been part of it and the journal has become a lovely record of my development as a bead maker. This years journal is the best yet with articles and tutorials included alongside the gallery for the first time.

Glasss 3 is the third in a series of innovative books published biennially by Miriam Steger. This publication is another that is open to all, a collection of work by lampworkers from all over the world. Although Glasss 3 is so new that it is not available for sale on the website just yet I was thrilled to see my page as part of the preview :-D Top row, last image, left hand page!

In a day or two my second ever magazine bead making tutorial will be out in the May 2013 edition of Beads & Beyond magazine. I am lucky enough to have received my contributors copy already and my Something Blue tutorial looks beautiful and is jolly easy to follow too so look out for it on the shelves.

Jolene xx


2 comments:

  1. That is so cool Jo!! What a wonderful year or printed goodies :D xx


    Ooh and which was my bead in? xx

    ReplyDelete