Etsy

16/10/2012

Beadathon: Post match analysis

I had the very best intentions of making a sort of photo diary of the beadathon weekend here, a photo every half an hour for a montage blog. As you can see here, that idea was a kind of epic fail, thankfully it was the only fail of the weekend. Heather Kelly and Laney Mead will have to suffer alone in having their picture up on my blog! These two amazing ladies got the project underway at 7.16pm and took the first shift along with Sue Reynolds. These three ladies were so dedicated they worked spilt shifts, Laney and Sue were back in the morning and Heather came back in the afternoon and helped to finish the last block along with the very lovely Kat Newman and myself.

 I would like to say a very special thank you to Ness Hearn and Sarah Thompson who worked so hard on the night shift with me, you girls were amazing and without your grit and determination this project would never have been possible.

I also want to give a very special thank you to Marlene Minhas who arrived pre-dawn through rolling mists on Saturday morning, all smiles with brioche and hot chocolate in hand at just at the right time to give the night crew a lift in spirits and thank you to Sue and Laney too for coming back at 6am and sending the night crew off to bed for a well deserved rest.
Next up I would like to thank my mate Michelle Ross for driving on her own all the way from Kent to give up her weekend to torch for the kiddies. Our youngest bead maker of the day was Rob, aged 12, supervised by his Mum, Sandy Fulbrook. Rob was just brilliant, he was determined to make a bead or two for Beads of Courage and he and Sandy did a great job. Lastly I'd like to thank Kat for propping me up at the end making me laugh a very lot. 

Above is a picture of my choc-a-block Kilncare Maxine kiln, which we ran for 16 hours. It is a superb kiln, a workhorse and very spacious and just the thing for a project like this.
I was so impressed with how well the Maxine held up to the task that I have been in touch with Lee at Kilncare and he is going to sponsor the next Beadathon by loaning us a second kiln, so no danger of running out of space next time. 

Above is Sues Paragon SC2, lent to the studio for the project, which we ran at the start and also at the end of the Beadathon to try to make best use of the annealing space we had. On the right are the very first beads we made, annealed during the night shift and cleaned and ready for show and tell when a photographer from the local paper came  to visit us at lunchtime on Saturday (I hold out no hope that I will look ok in the picture in the paper, 17 hours into the Beadathon, wild eyed and drunken on 3 hours sleep, oh well :-D)

I am thrilled to be able to say though that we smashed our just giving page target of £500 and donations are still coming in. Our page will still be open for another week or two so please feel free to add a copper of two to the pot, it is for a great cause.

I would like to take a moment also to thank every single person who dropped in to see us via the live web feed,  you cheered us on, made us laugh and made the whole experience special because we could share it with you.


I thought I would leave you with a mini gallery of some of the 179 beads we collectively made this weekend. I think they will make a lot of brave kids smile.

Jolene x

10 comments:

  1. Lol - I think you might find you looked a little demented in the papers photo Jo, I've rarely seen anybody so tired (without a newborn baby that is!) It was so rewarding taking part in this, and fun too, even if tiring. My little one did so well, going to bed late and getting up well before dawn, she may be getting pancakes as a reward:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your little, she was so good the whole time even when though things were all crazy and busy all around xx

      Delete
  2. Well done for organising missus, it was fun day and I look forward to the next one! Well done and thanks everyone for turning up or supporting via the weblink. Such Fun!!! ;0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a wonderful event, Jo and you did an amazing job with it - you should feel very proud. :)
    It was great to have the support of our nutty, beady friends via the web link.

    Don't forget we need to see that article (no matter how demented you look) ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. And coming from someone who would have loved to have been there with you fab ladies....it was a pleasure to stop by and join in with the others watching and cheering/heckling you on;)) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would have loved to have you here Georgie xx

      Delete
  5. We definitely need to see the pic, I had to keep turned away from the camera to ensure I wasn't in it and I was desperate for a wee! Fab weekend, great cause...we dun good x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol lucky you! There I was mindin' me own business and a camera appeared mid-bead lol!!! We dun good indeed :D x

      Delete